THE ROUND UP
Best of Hertfordshire documentary wedding photography
Hi, I'm Ben. A Hertfordshire wedding photographer and this is a round up of my own favourite documentary wedding photography images from 2023. These are not necessarily my couples favourites but mine for a variety of reasons such as something that happened on the day, the moment, the party or just out of the ordinary.
Its been an awesome year capturing so many incredible weddings, not just in Hertfordshire but all over the UK and even Vietnam.
2023 has been a huge personal growth year. I have learnt so much and really focused on becoming a more moment led natural photographer really showcasing not just my own personality but every couple I have been lucky enough to photograph. No cheesy poses, nothing staged or awkward, just real documentary moments as they have happened. I have had such great feedback about all the spontaneous moments truly capturing the day that wouldn't have otherwise been seen and being guided by the real emotions rather than anything being overly curated into some sort of photo shoot.
The love of the real laughter, the crying, the awkward faces and the genuine memories that can be seen throughout the day rather than anything that is too formulaic.
"We didn't want to spend lots of time on either the couples portraits or group shots and Ben Handled this perfectly-getting plenty of amazing shots in really short spaces of time. Ben is the master of the documentary style of photography we wanted. Thank you so much Ben" - Emily + Ricki
Thank you to all the amazing couples who I feel super privileged to have met and worked with during the course of the year. It means the world to me to have been part of your special day and hopefully we have collaborated on creating some lasting memories for you and your future generations to celebrate with in years to come.
Each wedding has been unique and I’ve loved every one of them. I feel like i've not only made new friends in all of you but also all your parents, family members ( Granny's in particular ) and your besties. Thank you also to all the brilliant suppliers I have met along the way. I’ve learnt so much this year and I can’t wait to get stuck into 2024.
I only take on 15-20 weddings per year and while I am almost booked up for 2024 I do still have a few spaces left. My book is also open for 2025 so please get in touch if you can imagine us hanging out and me third wheeling your big day. I'd love to hear all about what you have planned.
Much love to all
2023 round up in summary:-
- 18 weddings completed
- 10 London venues visited ( All the town halls- Islington town hall, Marylebone town hall, Walthamstow town hall, Chelsea town Hall)
- 1 Wedding in Vietnam !
- 6 photography conferences attended
- 8 photography courses / classes attended (as the learning never stops)
- won a few awards
- @Ninedots annual conference print competition runner up
- evolved as a photographer to be more documentary / moment led with a hint of unposed editorial thrown in.
- learnt how to run this small business while still working full time
- tweaked my editing style ( there is a mix in this post )
- became a Rock my Wedding nominated supplier
- top 50 Uk recommended wedding photographer
- drank 54368 cups of coffee
- longest UK distance travelled - 468 mile round trip
- partied until 2am twice and camped in a field
- joined in with the majority of dance floors ( Camera in one hand beer in the other )
- second shot with some of the best in the business
- met some awesome people !!
My first wedding of 2024 begins in the Italian Alps doing a ski / snowboarding wedding and I have got some awesome weddings lined up for next year, I cant wait !